BoSS is a non-profit organization that participates actively in the works to promote the just and prosperous community through institutional strengthening, human resource development, capacity building, transfer of technology, and utilization of information technology. It was founded in 2013 by women activists in Balikpapan City to respond the social situation in the community that is observed being degraded in nowadays life. Initially BoSS worked with women groups in making handicraftfrom the inorganic waste, mostly plastic waste in Balikpapan, but later its works extended to reach the city and other province.
The organization has a mission to prepare qualified human resource with environment insight in order to create a democratic and just civil society with a strong economic structure, self-reliant, supported by sustainable living environment.
In order to achieve its mission, BoSS works in three main concerns, they are:
- The establishment of community groups that could grow up toward a sustainable civil society.
- Empowerment and capacity building of community and institutions in nation building in all fields
- Support policies that are able to involve broad and equitable public participation in the nation's development participation.
BoSS focuses the program on the education and assistance/ accompaniment on waste recycling management to the local community, particularly women group. They train the beneficiaries to separate the organic and inorganic waste then to separate the recyclable and the residual waste. For the recyclable waste, the training will be organized on how to value each type of waste and then how to transfer it into usable and saleable products, like handicraft.
BoSS do many training and activities since its establishment, among other things:
- Establishment of “Smart Home” to train women in making handicrafts from plastic waste and to educate children on the environment, 2013
- Capacity Building for the local NGOs from Balikpapan City and Kutai Kartanegara District, in cooperation with TOTAL INDONESIE and SKK MIGAS (State Owned Oil and Gas Company), 2014
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for the students and community in Margomulyo, in cooperation with TOTAL INDONESIE and SKK MIGAS (State Owned Oil and Gas Company), 2015.
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for Women groups in Penajam Paser Utara District in cooperation with DKPP (Office of Marine and Fisheries), 2015
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for Students and community in Handil Baru and Muara Jawa, Kutai Kartanegara District.
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for the community in Balikpapan, 2016 in cooperation with PT. SURVEYOR INDONESIA.
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for Students and community Mahakam Delta (Muara Pantuan, Tanjung Berukang, and Sepatin), in cooperation with TOTAL E&P INDONESIE and SKK MIGAS, 2016.
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for Women Group in Yogyakarta, in cooperation with The Student Association of Indonesian Islamic University, Yogyakarta, 2016.
- Training on Inorganic Waste Management for the community in Jagir Village, Surabaya, in cooperation with Health Office Surabaya.
The product of the women groups assisted by BoSS could be explored on instagram
Today BoSS implements the project of the community based project of domestic waste management system in Samurangau Village, which is located at the bank of Kandilau River in Paser District, East Kalimantan Province. The river ecosystem plays a very important role for the environment but it was polluted by unwell managed waste due to the low awareness of local people. The objective of the project is to protect the Kandilau River from domestic waste pollution. In doing so, the project educates the local community on how to manage the domestic waste and then train them to transfer waste into economic valued products. The activities include:
• Establishing and accompanying 3 community based groups with 10 members per group to manage the waste recycling management.
• Increasing the capacity of the groups to be able to manage their social business independently.
• Constructing the gallery art center as the training place, art gallery, and interaction center for the business development.
BoSS facilitated the process of the 3 community (women) groups establishments. The organization works as well to build the capacity of the group members on various knowledge and skills both for technique and management. As BoSS is an organization specialized on the waste recycle management, it has enough resource to provide technical capacity building on it. BoSS wants to empower the group to become a collective business group of making recycled product of waste, so the groups need to be trained on business management. Knowledge and skill on marketing will become one of the most important things to be learnt.
The current project of the community empowerment is in collaboration with PROTOSEA Company. Today BoSS has 4 permanent/regular staffs, and they will hire another staff if they have more activities.